Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Wii Fit Plus

This is how we start our days now:



The girls received the Wii and as their 'big' Christmas gift this year. They were very excited and dreaming of all the gaming they could do but it only came with Wii Fit. I know - what mean parents! We don't do much gaming here outside of Nintendo DS...and that is limited.

I can't cite any studies about the effect of exercise as it specifically relates to cognition and Down syndrome but let me tell you my own little case study has shown dramatic results. We have always made frequent use of outdoor play and exercise, fun exercise videos, rotated gross motor activities in and around our school day but I just never started our day with exercise. Starting the day with the Wii Fit Plus has had a dramatic effect on how Reagan presents herself for learning. Her mood is better, her mind is more focused and her memory in math and reading is much sharper!

As an added benefit - she is losing weight!

6 comments:

The Red Brick Farmhouse said...

Hello~

I found your blog through Amy on A Redeemed Sheep. I have a 15 year old son with Asperger's Syndrome.

We got a Wii for Christmas and are saving to get the Wii fit. We have used it at my daughter's and it is AWESOME!

I am glad to hear that it is having such a positive impact on your sweet daughter. I hope it does the same for Kiddo when we get ours.

Blessings~
Laura

Amy said...

Hi Laura - so glad you stopped by! Amy is such a sweetie! Are you a Swappie too?

Heading on over to check out your blog!

Anonymous said...

Amy, I love your blog! It has such a peaceful feel to it, and you have so many helpful links. Gloris

Amy said...

Thank you Gloris!

walking said...

My autie is loving her Wii Fit (and so am I).

Amy said...

Thanks for stopping by Tammy! I've been following your story for a long time now!