Friday, December 5, 2008

A New Anglican Province in North America

An important moment in history for those of us who consider ourselves orthodox Anglicans in North America and I was there to witness its birth!




The provisional constitution and canons of the Anglican Church in North American were unveiled in Wheaton, IL, on Wednesday, December 3rd. For my friends and family this day was filled with great joy and excitement.

Much hard work led up to this day. The process leading up to the new Province has been going on behind the scenes for many years and to be in the presence of those who have devoted so much of their lives to this cause was so moving for us. We finally will have the safe haven for those of us who worship as orthodox believers away from The Episcopal Church - a denomination that has come to be infamous for its heresy.

I had the opportunity to meet many of the contenders for the faith once delivered to the saints. Some I had met before at events associated with our seminary life. Others were new and exciting to meet - especially for my 16 y.o. daughter, K, who had many of those wearing purple (bishops for those who don't know our denomination well) and a few dedicated lay people sign her copy of the provisional constitution for the new province.

I was also blessed to meet a few fellow orthodox Anglican homeschooling bloggers. There are so few of us in the blogoshpere I just had to say hello. I hope I didn't embarrass myself to much by walking up to them and introducing myself - I admire so much for their dedication to their families and their faith - and for their blogging skills. I met Jeanne from At a Hen's Pace - a sure delight to spend some time with a Panera! I also briefly talked with Rev. Ann Kennedy and her very cute children

We began our day with a Christ Awakening reception featuring some awesome speakers. Then we were off to witness an historical meeting with the Common Cause Partnership that ratified the new constitution and canons of the new province. The day ended with the most Spirit filled Mass I have ever attended. My prayer is that every Anglican Christian know the joyful worship I experienced that night. The Holy Spirit has fanned a flame that I pray will spread around the world reaching all those who don't know the saving grace of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

4 comments:

Kerry said...

Oh, you lucky things! All you Anglican ladies up there getting face time! :)

It is pretty amazing that we have a new province isn't it?

Amy said...

I wish we could have had more time! I thought it would be a bit more relaxing than it turned out to be - but glorious all the same!

At A Hen's Pace said...

Amy--

Embarrass yourself? I was so glad you introduced yourself! I only wish we'd had a few more minutes (or hours) to talk! Maybe in '09...


And I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed the service and especially the worship! That's the kind of "Spirit-filled Mass" we always have at Church of the Resurrection, and as a daughter church, Light of Christ is similar--without quite so many talented musicians! (Yet?) :)

It will be fun to have you visit sometime!

~Jeanne

Amy said...

Count on it!