Thursday, February 10, 2011

General Resources - Homeschooling Children with Special Needs

I was putting this list of resources together for my local homeschooling association this week. Memories came flooding back to the time where I really didn't understand how unique Reagan's needs were. So, in the beginning of our journey,I read everything I could about education and homeschooling children with special needs. In those early days I frequently used NATHHAN's lending library to check out books by mail. That lending library is closed now for reorganization.

I also used our local library to learn about how children with special needs learn. The inter-library loan system brought me many books that were not available locally. I've also purchased many books over the years that helped answer questions about our learners with special needs that were more complex. I felt it was important to understand what I was doing vs. trying to implement a home program that would not lead to an environment conducive to learning or meet my daughter's needs.

This list is from my own personal library:


General Resources for Homeschooling Children with Special Needs


Home Schooling Children with Special Needs, by Sharon C. Hensley

Homeschooling Your Struggling Learner, by Kathy Kuhl

The Way They Learn, Cynthia Ulrich Tobias

Learning to Learn, Carolyn Oliver & Rosemary F. Bowler

Steps to Independence, by Bruce L. Baker and Alan J. Brightman

Road to Independence, Independence Skills Training for Special Needs Children, by Brenda M. Batts

Choosing & Using Curriculum for Your Special Child, by Joyce Herzog

Learning in Spite of Labels, by Joyce Herzog

Strategies for Struggling Learners, by Joe & Connie Sutton

Christian Homes and Special Kids, by Sherry Bushnell and Diane Ryckman

The Child with Special Needs by Stanley I Greenspan, MD & Serena Wieder, Ph.D.

Helping Children Overcome Learning Difficulties by Jerome Rosner

Helps for Special Education Teachers, by Eileen Shaum

Literacy Skill Development for Students with Special Learning Needs by Leslie Broun & Patricia Oelwein

Of course, after I learned just how unique learners with Down syndrome are, I had to start on a whole new course of study on how children with Down syndrome learn. What I learned from the books above was/is quite worthwhile as I progressed to the mentoring stage of my journey. I find I'm always learning as I go and am overjoyed that there is always something more to explore!

Are there important resources that I have overlooked? I'd love to hear what has helped you most!

No comments: