Tuesday, February 1, 2011

My Sabbatical from Blogging...

Is it over? How do you return from 9 months without making a post with significant content? I guess you just jump right in...

I think putting together my ebook, Homeschooling Children with Down Syndrome met a personal goal of mine - to share what I have learned on this journey. It has been my ministry for over a decade to share and mentor others on a similar path. I know there is much more to come on this journey. More that isn't shared freely in the blogosphere. There are very few bloggers with teens or adults with Down syndrome sharing their journeys.

Over the last 9 months we have traveled extensively and met many wonderful people. Reagan has a way of attracting the most incredible people into our lives. She exudes an unconditional love for others - she blesses and we are all blessed. She has matured so much in the last year. She is quite independent and even a little sassy. I have to say her adolescence has been fairly easy but then both of my girls have been easy as far as our relationships go. The closeness we enjoy as a homeschooling family and the mutual respect for each other made what are usually difficult times in a family just an age and a stage.

In the fall, my oldest left for college. Kiera is attending a small Christian school near Chicago as a biology major. She has adjusted quite well to life at college - even made the Dean's list! I am so proud of this young lady! Homeschooled through high school and a success in the competitive world of college!

Reagan misses her sister dearly. As hard as it is for me to let go, it has been much more difficult for Reagan. The tears still flow freely and frequently - she knows things will never be the same...

Our local homeschooling children with special needs support group. Special Needs, Unique Challenges, has become more active. We have been trying to meet monthly for a mom's night out this school year. The weather has interfered greatly this winter though. We have had the snowiest winter I can recall!

We are serving two small rural churches. Our parish families have blessed us immensely. Until now, I had not known a parish family so united in their love for the Lord that it is almost palpable. The serve the Lord and each other...and love my family. Here, we do not just go to church - we belong. If you have a child with special needs, you know how rare this is!

We have a new Bishop with exciting plans for the future. While our buildings and property are being threatened with lawsuits from The Episcopal Church, our Bishop has a vision for our future. A future where buildings and property are only things. The mission of the church will continue on without those things if necessary.

I have been named Diocesan Coordinator for those with special needs. A coordinator grows ministry within our Diocese. I am busy at work trying to define this new ministry and set goals for our team. It is a very exciting time for me. At times, anxiety creeps in. Am I the right person for this job? Do I have the skills to grow this ministry? Do I have the time and energy? But then I remember - God doesn't call the equipped, He equips those who are called!

Reagan will have surgery soon. She will have a new pacemaker put in. This pacemaker will pace both her ventricles - an added safety measure since she has no underlying heart rhythm. Complete heart block was a complication from her original open heart surgery, repair of AVSD, as an infant.

A brief update on a snowy day. My life is much fuller than I can describe in this space. Blizzard warning here - expecting 20 inches of snow with white-out conditions. I don't expect to be plowed out until Friday. Really. And I don't mind. I have a well-stocked pantry and freezer. The generator has had a recent tune-up. I have a pile of books waiting for me along with a nice warm blanket.

So, let the snow fall and the wind blow. I'm going to enjoy this day!

4 comments:

Jessica Snell said...

Hi! Just wanted to say that it's good to have you blogging again. I'm glad things are going mostly-well, though I'm sorry you're facing a surgery with your daughter, and that she's missing her big sister so much.

Amy said...

Thanks so much Jessica!

Barbara Frank said...

Welcome back! Nice to see you posting again. I hear you about Reagan missing her sister. Josh is the same way with his siblings. Hard to watch, isn't it?

Will keep Reagan in our prayers for a smooth and uneventful surgery and recovery. My dad just had his pacemaker/defib replaced (again) and he's already on the go. Amazing what drs. can do these days!

Barb

Amy said...

Oh Barbara, it IS so hard. My grief is nothing compared to hers...

We are anticipating an easy procedure this time. The cardiac team has agreed to put a transvenous pacemaker - in contrast to an open chest procedure as was done in the past. I'm thrilled! The procedure is scheduled for March 18th. Thank you so much for your prayers!