Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Lent


Sometimes I think I take myself too seriously during penitential season.  I'm very serious about my spiritual growth.  I put a great deal of effort into it.   My personality leads me to a more contemplative lifestyle. 

This year I'm going to make it a different experience.  I will still read my Bible and the devotionals I've collected for Lent.  I'm also going to study George Herbert's work.  His poetry moves me so.  This is one of my favorites:

The Altar

A broken ALTAR, Lord thy servant rears,
Made of a heart, and cemented with teares:
Whose parts are as thy hand did frame;
No workmans tool hath touch'd the same
A HEART alone
Is such a stone,
As nothing but
Thy pow'r doth cut.
Wherefore each part
Of my hard heart
Meets in this frame,
To praise thy Name:
That if I chance to hold my peace,
These stones to praise thee may not cease.
O let thy blessed SACRIFICE be mine,
And sanctifie this ALTAR to be thine.

I won't go into great detail about the rest of my devotions in Lent, but I intend to reach outside of my own private study and reach out to others.  I am such an introvert that it does take great effort for me to go beyond the regular rhythm of my days.  I feel called to reach out to those who are considered shut-ins a part of this Lenten journey.

So, I'm leaning on God to give me the strength and grace to do the work He has called me to do.  

My your Lent be blessed and may the power of the Holy Spirit do great works in you and those who surround you!

No comments: