Sunday, February 3, 2008

Lent - Holy Scripture and Prayer



As Anglicans, we are invited to approach this holy season of Lent as a season of self-examination and repentance; by prayer, fasting and self-denial; and by reading and meditating on God's holy Word.

Book of Common Prayer, p. 265

I plan to spend a great deal of time during this Lenten season with God's Word and in prayer. I always associate God's holy Word with prayer. Lectio divina - holy reading - goes beyond an intellectual exercise while reading the Bible. It is reading, meditating and reflecting on Holy Scripture until Truth emerges and one finds herself/himself resting in the love of God. It is a difficult experience to describe but a form of prayer I discovered unwittingly while grieving my oldest child. Little did I know then that it is a form of prayer that dates back to the sixth century!

Since our pilgrimage to the Holy Land in the fall of 2006, the Bible has come to life for me in a new way. I was awed by the desolation of the wilderness. I felt the isolation even though I was surrounded by others. My appreciation for the Lord's trials and temptations in the wilderness has grown deeper though I can't imagine the depth of what the Lord experienced there. I walked the Via Dolorosa - The Way of the Cross - where children spat upon us and my dear husband was attacked by a toddler...all because we worship Christ. Please pray for those who are so filled with hate they indoctrinate their little ones.

Lent is a good time to make Morning and Evening Prayer a daily goal in self- discipline that might continue beyond Easter as part of a rule of life. For many busy families it might be easier to add one office a day and building from there for those who have never done it before. Mark time and make it holy by reading the Daily Offices as a family.

I also have my devotional picked out and ready to pick up. This year I am using Henri Nouwen's Show Me the Way, Readings for Each Day of Lent. I am also going to read Nouwen's The Return of the Prodigal Son - and for Holy Week, Nouwen's Walk with Jesus, Stations of the Cross. I love everything Henri Nouwen writes.

I am presently reading my older daughter's devotional for Lent so I can discuss it with her as she reads: Lenten Days, Lenten Grace, Forty Days with Jesus by Raymond Chapman. My youngest, with Down syndrome will use How Many? A Book of Daily Lenten Devotions for Children and Their Families by Arden W. Mead. It seems to be at about her developmental level. I look forward to their insights as we move through this holy season!

2 comments:

Marilyn@A Mixed Bouquet said...

Oh, my! Your difficulties on the Via Dolorosa walk surprises me. I had no idea! I've added this young ones, being misled, and their parents to my prayer list. How sad.

The rest of your post was inspiring. Thanks!

Amy said...

Is IS so sad. We are so protected from the realities of what Christians face around the world. We only experienced a little taste of it in Israel but it is very real. We need to always remember them in our prayers and pray that those who don't know Christ may come to know His saving grace.