Monday, February 11, 2008

My Faith Journey



It is my hope, as part of my Lenten journey this year, to share my faith journey. I think it is important on our faith walk to be able to share that walk with others so that they may see how God has worked in our lives, for others to know the grace we have received and just how faithful God is with His beloved children. I hope you will find a message of hope and joy in my journey with the Living God. It is truly amazing to me to look back and see His hand in my life - even when I wasn't a faithful child.

I don't know if I can tell the story in order but hopefully I can convey His work in a way that makes sense. I am going to start with my Baptism. I grew up in the Roman Catholic Church and received the the Sacrament of Holy Baptism as an infant. In the Catholic (Roman & Anglican) faith we are marked as Christ's at Baptism. We are called to a new way of life in Him and called into community with our fellow Christians. I, of course, do not remember my Baptism but I cry at every Baptism I attend. What a beautiful celebration of new life in Him as we renew our Baptismal vows and again commit ourselves to our covenant with God!

I was an odd child. I am the oldest of five children - four of us were born in five years. Needless to say, my parents were very busy during those early parenting years. I was very (possibly pathologically) quiet and introverted. As the oldest of five, I didn't get a great deal of attention nor did I demand attention from my parents - just a fact - not to say anything negative about my parents. They love me and were just doing the best they could! I did not grow up in a religious environment but my family got me to church in the early years. The greatest impression I have of those years is the parenting I received in the form of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. He spoke to me directly and reached into the lonely and dark parts of my heart and soul. I felt I knew Him intimately through His Word and He knew me! I would need Him more than I could ever imagine and am deeply grateful for the love I knew then and today!

2 comments:

Marilyn@A Mixed Bouquet said...

That's a wonderful post, Amy! Thank you for posting.

Amy said...

As I look back upon my formation, I just look in wonder at His work!