Friday, February 12, 2010

Looking to Lent

"Remember you are dust, and to dust you shall return." p. 265 BCP

These words frightened me as a child. Then, I just wasn’t capable of understanding the big picture that comes with Christ's sacrifice for our redemption. Yes, I am dust – really nothing except for who I am in Jesus Christ. Jesus, who came to earth to die for me and you so that we may know eternal life in Him.

Now, these words bring me joy, a subdued joy, but joy nonetheless. As I mature and can better understand just how much His life, suffering and death mean for humanity, I am awed at just how much God loves us. We don’t deserve salvation as wicked, sinful creatures but it is ours! How grateful I am for the Holy Eucharist that follows the Imposition of Ashes on Ash Wednesday!

I intend to keep Lent as the penitential season we know it to be with more solitude, prayer, self-examination and fasting – all that is intended to draw me closer to Him. I look forward to it with excitement even - for what will be revealed to me will be precious. I am going to keep a Lenten journal this year to record what I’ve learned and things I should meditate on.

Do you have a little quiet corner for solitude, prayer and study?



This is my little space.



Here, I will be spending time learning more about the Desert Fathers.

The Wisdom of the Desert by Thomas Merton

The Desert: An Anthology for Lent by John Moses

Bridges to Contemplative Living by Thomas Merton

I would also like to begin Dark Night of the Soul by St. John of the Cross.


Yes, I am dust but I hope to someday rise in glory with all those who have gone before me as a child of God.

4 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Amy said...

I totally agree!

There is much talk at conferences for youth leaders about bringing the faith into the homes of parishioners and how to accomplish that - in the hopes of created stronger Christian families. I haven't seen the trickle down yet. I suppose that will take years to develop. Bloggers can have a huge impact in educating people on how to bring the faith home - to strengthen their own faith, the faith of their families AND impact future generations! I have learned so much from my fellow bloggers and am thankful for their support and fellowship.

Thanks for stopping by!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dissertation Writing service said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.