Monday, January 21, 2008

Weekend Blessing



This weekend I attended a quiet day for clergy and seminarian wives - my first. What a blessing the day was for me! The day was led by a wonderful (and very holy) retired bishop in our diocese. The topic - why we are important to God. The day consisted of three talks The first about the joy God takes in creating us and our uniqueness. The next talk was on how He loves us so much he sent His son to redeem us in our fallen state. The last talk was on how we are glorified on earth and how we will be glorified in Heaven. Each talk was followed by 35-40 minutes of silence.

There were so many gems in the form of Holy Scripture and insights into what God wants for us - and into the joy we bring to Him. I have been mediating on the following statement since the retreat ended:

We become what we love and who we love shapes what we become.

I love the Lord. I want to love as He loves - unconditionally and compassionately without compromise. I'll probably never reach my goal in this human state. I know just how inadequate and sinful I am but the world is needy - it needs God's love and we are put here to give it and bring others to Him.

I picked up a little jewel as I worked in the church gift shop this weekend - Prayertimes with Mother Teresa, A New Adventure in Prayer by Eileen Egan and Kathleen Egan, O.S.B. I can't wait for a little time alone with this book! I so admire Mother Teresa and her ability to care for the poorest of the poor with unconditional and compassionate love - the love of Christ.

No comments: