Saturday, May 10, 2008

Kidnapped?

I grew up in a time of innocence. I lived in a small town in the Midwest where everyone knows everyone. We lived in a modest ranch home with a small fenced backyard. Across the street was a field planted with corn and far into the distance was a wooded area.

During those idyllic times, mothers sent their children out to play after breakfast and didn’t worry about the dangers we know exist today. In my childhood home, we were sent out after breakfast and wandered in randomly for lunch. Most of the time made our own sandwich – then back out for fun in the neighborhood until dinner time. My mom was very busy during my early years with four of her five children born in five years. She was either pregnant or caring for a newborn during this time.

There were few rules – don’t play in the street, come when you're called, don’t go into the cornfield and never, ever enter the woods.

I have no recollection of the year this event occurred. I don’t associate it with anything but a carefree summer. Given what I can recall, I would say I was four or five years old.

Early one day, my younger sister and I were outside playing. Two teenage boys approached us. They were familiar but I didn’t know their names. I felt no fear thinking they were just going to pass by but before I knew it, I was hoisted upon the shoulders of the taller one and my sister on the shoulders of the shorter teen. Off we went into the forbidden cornfield and, to my horror, into the woods. We eventually reaching a little wooden shack - perhaps a clubhouse of sorts or a hunting shack. I remember cowering on the unfinished wood floor trying to comfort my sister who was sobbing hysterically.

My next memories are of being set free and the huge sense of relief. We knew we were in big trouble for going into the forbidden woods and decided to never tell a soul. We returned home where we hadn’t been missed at all.

I cared enough over the next few years to learn the names of the teens and where they lived – just blocks away. For years, I wanted to knock on their doors and tell their parents what they had done but knew that would start a chain of events that (in my immature mind) would get ME in trouble.

Was it a prank or did something sinister happen? I don’t recall and don’t want to know. Today, the event seems small and insignificant. I am safe and secure in the one Truth – the love and saving grace of our Lord Jesus Christ.

4 comments:

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

Oh, Amy! How scary! I'm glad is merciful enough to erase the memories. Did you ever tell your mom?

Renna said...

How horrific, Amy; and yet, thank God, you seem to bear no emotional scars from the event.

Amy said...

I never did tell my mom and I don't think I would burden her with it today. My mom is fun and lovable....but has always been rather fragile and doesn't like to deal with life's difficulties.

I have only told my husband - and now you!

Marilyn@A Mixed Bouquet said...

Wow! That is horrible, but I'm grateful that you have no memories.