Friday, June 20, 2008

Road Map to Holland



This book is a mother’s story of the first two years of her life with her son born with Down syndrome. I really didn't plan on reading it. I have had more that my fair share of time with my children in NICU, PICU, and CVICU. I’ve been in Holland for 13.5 years – been there, done that – I know the story!

When I first heard this book was being published, I put it on my Amazon wish list. Recently, I placed an order with Amazon taking the books I wanted off my wish list. As I reviewed my order and saw the additional book, I thought maybe it was just meant to be so I left the order as it was.

The order arrived just before our trip to the Rockin’ Roller Coast – Cedar Point in Ohio. My hubby and children are roller coaster fanatics while I prefer to skip the thrills and sit in the shade with a good book. Road Map to Holland, by Jennifer Graf Groneberg, immediately sucked me in and I could not put the book down.

I found Jennifer’s story profoundly moving. She is so honest in telling her story that, at times, I could feel her pain and her joy - and my own memories became alive. She moves through the premature birth of her twin sons, Bennett and Avery, and the post-natal diagnosis of Down syndrome that Avery receives in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. The first two years of life with Avery are portrayed with touching clarity. It is a story of love, family, friends and growing understanding of the gift that Down syndrome is. I love the last lines of the book, “He is the child that I always wanted, that I did not know I wanted. He is my son.”

This is THE book I would give parents of a newborn with Down syndrome.

3 comments:

Renna said...

You have me wanting to read it, Amy!

Marilyn - A Mixed Bouquet said...

Ugh, I read part of this the day you posted, but had to shutdown the computer. In my hurry, I marked it read in my reader.

I do want to read this book. I signed up to win a copy, but will also be checking my library. Thanks for the review!

Barbara Frank said...

Well, they sure could use a decent book to give the parents of newborns, that's for sure!

Hope you're having a great time at camp :)