Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A Crazy Month...

Filled with many blessings--one of which was my birthday! It doesn't bother me to grow older. Some wrinkles and and a few extra pounds don't bother me much though I would love to lose some weight to feel healthier. With every year I know more peace and fuller joy. My life is filled with so many blessings and my heart is so thankful.

My birthday was awesome! K baked me a wonderful cake inspired by a dessert we like at The Bubble Room in Captiva, Florida.



Orange Crunch Cake

Adapted from All Recipes

Ingredients

1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 (18 1/4 ounce) yellow cake mix
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup orange juice
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs
2 tablespoons orange zest, grated
2 (16 ounce) can vanilla frosting
3 tablespoons orange zest, grated
1 teaspoon lemon zest, grated

Directions

Preheat oven to 350.

Grease and flour two 9-inch pans.

Crunch Layer

Combine the graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar, walnuts, and butter. Divide mixture evenly between the prepared pans. Set aside.

Cake

In a medium bowl, mix together cake mix, water, orange juice and oil until blended.

Beat in eggs, one at a time, then stir in the orange zest.

Pour mixture evenly over the crunch layer in the pans.

Bake in a preheated oven for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.

Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then invert onto a wire rack and cool completely before frosting.

Frosting

In a medium bowl, beat the vanilla frosting until light and fluffy. Add food coloring for orange color.

Stir in the orange and lemon zest.

Assembly

Place one layer on cake plate, crunch side up, frost. Place second layer crunch side up and frost on top and sides.

Refrigerate.

Yummy and quite worth the effort! Thanks to my thoughtful, sweet daughter!

Among my gifts:



A Blackberry! And...Blackberry For Dummies They know me too well :-)

4 comments:

Barbara Frank said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Amy!

Amy said...

Thanks Barbara!

Leslie said...

Happy Belated Birthday!!! Your attitude is wonderful. I struggle with aging ... sigh.

Blessings
Leslie

Amy said...

Thank you Leslie! I guess what has helped me in the past with aging issues is trying to wake up with a grateful heart for the health I enjoy and the blessings that surround me. I had a big health scare a few years ago (perforated colon) - one moment I was fine and the next very ill. So I try to be grateful for the lines, the extra pounds and the gray hair. I am alive and living a life filled with much peace and joy!