Thursday, May 28, 2009

Carnivals of the Church Year - Pentecost



Pentecost is approaching rapidly and my thoughts drift to the power of the Holy Spirit as displayed in my life. Those of us who worship in liturgical churches celebrate Pentecost, the birth of the early Church at the descent of the Holy Spirit after the ascension of Jesus. What follows Pentecost is known as Ordinary Time or the Pentecost Season. Ordinary Time is my favorite season of the church year. Some might think it is boring with no major feasts like Christmas and Easter but I love the stability of Ordinary Time. I love the focus on the work of the Holy Spirit in our daily lives.

The Holy Spirit is known by many names: Author of Scripture, Comforter, Convicter of Sin, Guide, Indweller of Believers, Intercessor, Revealer/Spirit of Truth, Spirit of God, Spirit of Life, Teacher, Witness etc. All are made known in Holy Scripture and related to His function or His ministry on earth. His breadth and depth are for us to discover and inwardly know -- and respond to -- as we move through our lives. We are sealed by the Holy Spirit in Baptism and marked as Christ's own. It is our duty to respond the Holy Spirit working in our lives and make Him known to all!

The Holy Spirit in Times of Deep Personal Crisis
When I look back at the most difficult time in my life, I find the time I truly discovered the depth of the power of the Holy Spirit. During this time I found a strength that did not come from me - it could only come from an almighty triune God through the Holy Spirit. As a mother anticipating the impending death of her beloved child, I was filled with a deep, searing pain beyond description. As I watched and supported my daughter, Michelle, as she suffered a slow, excruciating death and I knew deeply and profoundly that the Lord was always near and that the power of the Holy Spirit would fill me with the strength I needed to support her through her suffering and passing -- and never leave me as I grieved her loss.

Today, I live in awe – total, absolute amazement and wonder of God’s work on earth through the power of the Holy Spirit. I am humbled by the knowledge that He dwells in me - a lowly sinner who struggles and stumbles when I don't turn to God first. I am grateful for that God infused strength I know to get me through the hardest thing any parent can do - witness the suffering and death of a child...and then learn to live without the child. The strength I had during that time was truly miraculous because all I really wanted to do was selfishly lie down and die with her. I understood though, that this life wasn't really mine, but His and to be lived to glorify Him with the gifts He bestowed on me. It is my hope that I glorified Him during the deepest crisis of my life.

The Holy Spirit in More Ordinary Times

My life, for the last few years, has been chaotic to say the least. It has not been easy dividing my time between seminary and home, homeschooling my children, and giving my time and talents to the Church in a difficult political climate. I could go on and on about what has filled my hours but ultimately what it comes down to is weariness. I’ve been in survival mode for quite a long time. This is definitely not the hardest period of time in my life but it has been difficult. I freely confess my knowledge that I did not do this alone. I did it with help, for my weariness runs deep. It is only by the grace of God and the power of the Holy Spirit we not only did this but did it well! Despite the weariness, I know joy and peace because of our obedience - conforming our lives to what God has willed for us. I know a new sense of trust – trust that God has a plan and I must wait for His timing. I will know it on His time, not mine. I can rest and not worry about the details, for the details are not mine to worry about.

Every day I wake up with a grateful heart knowing God has a plan for me whether it be in my own home supporting my husband, raising and educating our children and/or out in the community. I take comfort in the power of the Holy Spirit to guide and direct me, to give me the words I need to deal with two adolescent daughters – one with significant special needs, to deal with my extended family’s ongoing crisis state, to laugh and cry with my friends as we all make our way through this earthly life. I know in a profound sense that I am never alone and He will give me what I need to sustain me and give my best, through His grace and strength, to those who travel with me on this earthly journey.

Please visit Jessica at Homemaking Through the Church Year for Carnivals of the Church Year - Pentecost.

8 comments:

Jessica Snell said...

Thank you so much for posting this. I didn't know your first daughter's story; wow. I am so sorry for your loss.

And I am blessed to have heard her story, and your story of how God was with you in the midst of your grief. I've often been grateful that we worship a God who knows what it's like to suffer, but I know that I don't understand that as deeply as you do. Thank you for sharing these words with me and with the rest of the people who will read your post.

Amy said...

And your kind words bless me...

I'm grateful for the opportunity to share our story and how powerful the Holy Spirit is yesterday and today.

We serve an awesome God! I pray this carnival will reach others so they may know just how awesome He is!!!!

Amy said...

What a testimony. Thank you so much for sharing. I'm so sorry for the loss of your beautiful girl. You helped me to understand more of how the Spirit works.
You also helped me to look forward to ordinary time!!

Amy said...

Thanks for stopping by, Amy, and thanks for your kind words!

Barbara Frank said...

What a beautiful post, Amy. I know it will help others; it helped me just now, as we await our future while trying not to worry about the details.

I recall you sharing about your daughter before. Your willingness to do so is such a blessing to others who may be going through the same thing.

Amy said...

Thanks Barbara! I hope everyone who stumbles across this post will know all things are possible WITH God!

At A Hen's Pace said...

Hi Amy,

Thanks so much for this beautiful post. I didn't know about Michelle, either. I am so sorry for your loss; so thankful for your testimony of the Holy Spirit's presence and work in your lives through it all. Blessings to you all...

Jeanne

Amy said...

Thank you Jeanne. My life is a testimony that all is possible with God. I can't imagine doing it without Him. To God be the glory!