Thursday, March 31, 2011

Boring...

My college student, Kiera, was giving me some "constructive criticism" last night and told me my blog is boring. Boring? Truth be told, I am about as exciting as a cow pie in a pasture...

I'm calling this brief period in my life peaceful. Perhaps my blog is boring but I am enjoying a quiet Lent as Reagan recovers from her transvenous pacemaker procedure. She is feeling good but we are staying close to home so that Reagan doesn't catch any of those community acquired viruses while she heals.

Speaking of Reagan, I can't tell you how proud I am of her attitude and behavior throughout her admission to the hospital. She was better behaved than most typically developing 16 year-old patients that I've taken care of over the years. She was engaging and cooperative pre-op and woke up like a model patient - charming the PACU (Recovery Room) nurses. She stayed briefly in the Pediatric Intermediate Unit, calling every nurse friend, and then home.

For the next month Reagan can't lift anything heavy or raise her left arm above her head to avoid dislodging her new pacemaker leads. I must say I was more than a little concerned because of her forgetfulness, but a little tool to remind her has worked well. On the way home from the hospital I bought her a sling just to remind her of her short-term physical limitations. She never fails to wear it and has not needed a reminder as to what she needs to do (or not do) as she recovers. She is managing her own post-op course better than most adults. I am one proud mama!

With the right tools, I believe she will be a fairly independent adult. I find that very exciting! The work to get there is filled with baby steps which can seem to be boring as we move through them but they are baby steps to independence and independence is our goal.

Really, my life couldn't be more exciting as I watch her grow towards independence!

Share|

8 comments:

Juliette said...

Amy, glad to hear Reagan is doing well after her surgery! Great idea about the sling...Natalie just had her last epicardial pacemaker replacement, as she will be about 18 when it needs to be replaced. The next one will be transvenous and I was concerned about the same issues as you...but now, going forward, I have a plan! THANKS!!

Amy said...

So good to hear from you Juliette! I was wondering how Natalie was doing and if she had gotten her transvenous pacemaker. Let me tell you, this procedure was a piece of cake compared to and epicardial placement.

There still are concerns but I know Reagan will do well in the immediate post-op period. The next step is to reinforce that she is not to touch the generator -- ever.

There is a known complication in those developmental delays with chest generators. It is called Fiddler's syndrome - related to fiddling with the generator in its pocket. I doubt it is very common today as the generator is so small that you can't even see it. The distribution of adipose tissue in Reagan (and many others w/Ds) is such that it is well hidden.

Anyway, it's good to hear from you!

Mary Prather said...

So glad you stopped at my blog today! I enjoyed reading yours this evening, and I am praying for a swift recovery for Reagan!

Amy said...

Thanks for your prayers! Reagan is doing much better and is now free from her restrictions!!

Thank you for stopping by - I love your blog!

Barbara Frank said...

Glad to hear Reagan is doing so well; what a lovely summer you will both have with this behind you :)

Amy said...

Thanks Barbara! I'm looking forward to a peaceful summer now that this ordeal is behind us!

Marilyn - A Mixed Bouquet said...

Your blog is beautiful! You've never bored me, but then I can relate to your posts. My, my Reagan has grown and has gone through so much! Hope to have time to read through what I've missed in the past two years!

Amy said...

Marilyn, It is so nice to hear from you! I miss you blog and your updates but I know God has great plans for you!