Monday, March 14, 2011

Lent

Lent is here and I am not.

I mean to say I have planned well for Lent. I have my devotionals, my Bible reading schedule, I am fasting and I am giving more in areas that I have found lacking.

It is a good thing that God knows my heart and whispers in my ear those places which need work. Charity is the word he has given me this Lent.

Charity as a virtue is love.

" Charity - An unlimited loving-kindness towards all others, is held to be the ultimate perfection of the human spirit, because it is said to both glorify and reflect the nature of God. In its most extreme form such love can be self-sacrificial. Confusion can arise from the multiple meanings of the English word "love." The love that is caritas is distinguished by its origin, being Divinely infused into the soul, and by its residing in the will rather than emotions, regardless of what emotions it stirs up. This love is necessary for salvation, and with it no one can be lost."


"Charity is comprised two parts, love of God and love of man, which includes both love of one's neighbor and one's self."



BUT, I am a mother who is distracted by my daughter's upcoming procedure. Reagan is getting a new pacemaker on Friday. I am distracted by my own anxiety. In the scheme of things this is not a big deal. But it is a big deal for me and a very big deal for Reagan.

Reagan is used to procedures. They are a part of her life...and I really hate that part.

The part of her life which steals normalcy from us.

So, I am working very hard on charity as one of my Lenten devotions. I'm sure God means to stretch me well during this relatively minor procedure and inpatient stay in the hospital. I am going to choose charity as we move through this. I know I am going to be challenged greatly but with God I can do all things as long as I keep my eyes focused on Jesus and my heart fixed on heaven.

...and then Lent will truly begin for me.







2 comments:

Jessica Snell said...

Dear lady, God bless you. That sounds like enough burden to bear for anyone's Lent. I pray the procedure goes as smoothly as possible, both for you and for her.

Amy said...

Thank you Jessica. I am so very grateful for your prayers.