Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Don't Feel Sorry for Me...


I see it in your eyes and as you stare

When you see me at the grocery store or the library, don’t feel sorry for me

When you see me at church functions, don’t feel sorry for me

When you see me on the beach or at the pool, don’t feel sorry for me

When you see me taking my daily walk, don’t feel sorry for me

For you only see...

The young lady by my side has Down syndrome and you feel sorry for me

A pity that stems from your own prejudices

For you don't bother to acknowledge or know her

Your stare tells me you thinks she is an anomaly

Didn't your mother teach you that it's not polite to stare?

She is not an anomaly - she is a precious child of God


People with Down syndrome are not mistakes

For God does not make mistakes

She is an intentional part of His creation

Sent here to heal you


As her mother, I know…

A love as unconditional as our Father’s love

Kindness and caring as no other can offer

Immediate forgiveness for my transgressions

Hugs which are heart to heart


Truth be told, it is I who pity you…


For you do not know what a precious gift has been given to us

People with Down syndrome are a gift from God to a world lacking in kindness and compassion

A self-absorbed world that values high IQs, perfect teeth and McMansions


I know…


Pure delight in who she is and what she has accomplished

A beauty that is profound, which resides in her soul

An innocence that finds joy and delight in all things and everyone

An unpretentious nature that generously gives, which does not judge

Someone who loves life and appreciates every moment as an opportunity to love another

I know...

Joy far beyond what you will ever know

A little piece of heaven – God’s gift to all who truly know her

Never a burden, but a blessing

Our lives are better for her presence

Don’t feel sorry for me



10 comments:

Barbara Frank said...

Fantastic! We feel the same way. How dull life would be without Josh!

How did Reagan's surgery go? I've been praying that it would all go smoothly.

Amy said...

Thank you for your kinds words! I've been meaning to post an update but God gave this to me instead.

Reagan did quite well. I am awed at how my little girl has grown into a young lady. She was cooperative and a joy to all who met and/or cared for her.

She has had minimal pain and her new pacemaker is functioning perfectly.

I am just in awe of her!

Barbara Frank said...

So glad to hear it went so well. I'll bet she taught her caregivers a lot :)

Mrs. Darling said...

So beautiful and so true!

Amy said...

Barbara - She did teach her caregivers a LOT and they loved her for it!

Thank you Mrs. Darling!

Jasy kasiM said...

so wonderfully written it ,Amy..
only we mothers know how lucky we are to get such loving angels..!!

thank you for writing for all of us!

sanitymochas said...

From a sibling's perceptive: phenomenal! The one's that we love the most, the one's we're not ashamed to walk next to, they're the ones we'll always be there for, and them for us.

Beautiful!

Hills N Valleys said...

Beautifully said!!

Hills N Valleys said...

Beautifully said!!

Amy said...

Thank you all so much! We know we've got something special and it's sad that the whole world doesn't appreciate the gift for what it is...

Kristina (sanitymochas)has a different perspective as a sibling and recognizes the mutuality of the relationship she shares with her sister. Kiera (my college student) knows Reagan is her biggest cheerleader and the bond they share is beautiful. Of course they bicker at times, but their relationship is one of mutual respect and a bond like no other. Kiera consistently calls Reagan to greater things and Reagan rises up to the challenge!