Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Considering Homeschooling Your Child with Special Needs?


Parents begin considering homeschooling their child with special needs via a variety of paths.  

Many have homeschooled their children from the beginning.  They seem to be born with a homeschooling heart.


Some are called to it because of their child with special needs.  They understand that the system cannot effectively deal with their child’s special needs to ensure the child learns and grows into the best he/she can be.


Some begin because of difficulties with the school system.  They may be disappointed in their child’s progress.   Some even remove their children emergently because the situation is intolerable for their child.


I’ve listened to them all as they open their hearts and share their stories.  There is one common thread which runs through every parent’s mind as they consider the options.

Anxiety


The discernment period is a time filled with anxiety.  They worry if they can take on such an immense responsibility and do it well.  Even the veteran homeschooling mom experiences anxiety and doubt!


And it is normal.


We all want what is best for our children.  We, more than any system, care about our child’s outcome and will work harder to overcome challenges our children face.  


We all want what is best for our family.  We must consider how the decision to homeschool our child with special needs will affect our other children and spouse. Most homeschooling families naturally incorporate the child with special needs but some don't.  They fear that they cannot meet their child's special educational and/or therapeutic needs.  They worry that homeschooling their child with special needs may affect the education of their typical children.  There may be concerns that the perceived extra burden they are considering may cause increased marital stress. 


The discernment period is a time of prayer. 


We pray that the Holy Spirit will guide us as we do the research needed to make an informed decision.  We need to know as much as possible about our child’s diagnosis and how it affects growth and development – and overall learning.


We pray for others to walk alongside us - listen and share their knowledge and wisdom.  Fortunately, as the number of those  homeschooling their children  has grown, so has the number of those homeschooling children with special needs.  The support is there whether it be local or via the internet.  You will find others to work alongside you during the discernment period.

You might meet some of those people who I know as encouragers and friends.  Most I will never meet in real life but I consider them life-long friends.  We have walked with each other, celebrated with each other and cried together.

What you will learn


In the discernment period, you will come to know that you will be your child’s best teacher.  You know him/her better than anyone else. You have been his/her teacher from birth.  Homeschooling is a natural extension of parenting.


You will learn that homeschooling will not cure your child.  Homeschooling can provide a more optimal learning environment – one in which the child is safe, is encouraged and loved - learns and grows to be the best he or she can be.  In cases of significant challenges, this can be of utmost importance.

You will learn that homeschooling is not the easiest option though some might consider it to be so.  No more IEPs, BIPs, no more struggles to fight for services…


It is a lifestyle that requires perseverance and fortitude. It will challenge and grow you.  It is not for the weak of heart.  There will be tough days.  There may be tough seasons – but isn’t it so as we educate our typically developing children?

As you begin


Your anxiety dissipates.

You will find this path brings great rewards and untold amounts of joy.  There is nothing more rewarding than watching your child  overcome challenges as they master a new task or incorporate a difficult concept.

You learn what it means to walk by faith, not by sight, trusting the Lord will provide!


As I look at my sunset years as a homeschooling mom, I know the path we chose was right for us, good for our children, and the best choice for Reagan - our daughter with Down syndrome.  I have been blessed beyond my dreams by our homeschooling adventure.  I can see how God called me to this, the road less traveled, and then answered prayers as He guided us to fulfill His will for our family.


If He leads us to the road less traveled as a homeschooling family, He will guide us through it and we glorify Him in the process.


I am in awe of what He has accomplished in our family – especially in me.

12 comments:

Barbara Frank said...

Wonderful and so true, Amy. Just today I got an email from someone needing this info. I am sending her to your blog. God's timing is awesome :)

Amy said...

Isn't it! Perhaps she is why the Holy Spirit placed this on my heart today!

teal915 said...

I am homeschooling my children. My daughter with Ds is only 2, and even though we are still a ways from it, I still think about this a lot. There is kind of a stigma around homeschooling a special needs child, especially one with Ds, because so much focus is put on inclusion in the classroom in order for them to reach their full potential. I am ALL FOR inclusion in the classroom, but I don't think that means that I am doing her a disservice if I homeschool as some have implied. I'm nervous about the interaction that will take place a year from now, when I tell the Intermdiate Unit that I will not be sending my child to their school. Thanks for writing this. I needed it. I'll store it away in the memory banks for when I need it again.

Keri Mae said...

I am homeschooling all of my children, including my daughter with DS, who is 3. There was pressure to put her in the local special needs preschool, but I reasoned that keeping her home with a loving family (who really were her best therapists) was best. I used iCAN neurodevelopmentalists who not only supported us with homeschooling, but evaluated her progress three times a year and gave us exercises and activities to do to help her along. In other words, they taught US how to be her best physical/speech/etc therapists. It was a blessing and gave us more confidence. Ruby is thriving and I'm so thankful for the blessing of keeping her home.

I found you on Twitter; thanks for tweeting this post.

Amy said...

Thank you ladies for stopping by!

Teal, One also might think that you could be doing your child a disservice by placing her within the school system. Have you read my free e-book?

http://www.scribd.com/amongtheblessed/d/30242645-Homeschooling-Children-with-Down-Syndrome

In it you will find many facts to support your call to homeschool.

Don't worry about how your EI provider feels about homeschooling. We, as parents, still have rights and we KNOW what is best for our child!

Keri Mae,

I know so many who sing the praises of the neurodevelopmental approach! Even Sue Buckley of DownEd, a huge inclusion advocate, says that what we implement in our own home we work with our children has a much greater impact than what therapists can accomplish in the relatively short time they work with our children.

I am so grateful for the blessing that have come because of homeschooling journey - and grateful that we have the option!

Amy said...

One more positive for the neurodevelopmental approach - they understand the importance of targeted etiology-based interventions. Something the public school system has not adopted.

More in my free e-book linked on my sidebar and above.

Anonymous said...

Loved this post! I cannot imagine placing my son in a system that I would have to fight with to get to take care of him appropriately. But homeschooling children with special needs is definately the road less travelled. I often catch myself wondering if he would be doing better if he were in an environment with full-time teachers versus a part-time teacher, full-time mom. But no one could (or would) love him like I do. No peers could mentor him better than his siblings.

Thanks for the encouragement today.
Blessings,
Alyson

Amy said...

Our love is a powerful force in seeking ways to overcome the challenges we face as homeschooling moms with children with special needs. I really can't imagine having to focus it so narrowly within the system - and then so often becoming disappointed when the system is less than cooperative.

Siblings are such a blessing. I know Reagan's sister has been such a factor in the successes she knows!

Michelle @ Liturgical Time said...

Amy, we, Anglo-Catholics are indeed a rare breed! Good to hear from you. I think that neither my Catholic nor my Protestant readers know quite what to do with me, since I don't quite fit either definition. =)

Also, encouragement from this public school speech pathologist, and former homeschooling parent, to all of you who are homeschooling your special needs children. The workload/caseload demands of school therapists make it impossible to give each of our precious students what they need. While we might have specialized knowledge and training, our circumstances prevent us from providing ideal service, and no one can love a child like a parent can. I would say, though...be kind in IEP meetings. Often parents are so anxious about defending their positions that they forget that they are talking to people just like them. People who are worried about getting their jobs done in the face of impossible workloads, people who are feeling guilty because the dishes aren't done at home, people who have a sick parent, people who are worried about paying the vet bill...you get the picture. We really are trying our best to get kids the best service we can. My caseload right now is 108 kids at 3 schools. I have done 49 initial assessments this school year. (That's a LOT.) We are in difficult circumstances. So...advocate for your kids, stand your ground...but please, be kind. We are, as Plato said, "fighting a difficult battle" just like you.
Blessings friends. Soldier on for your precious children,
~Michelle

Amy said...

Michelle,

Thank you so much for your encouraging words!

I have several friends who work in the special education system. For the most part, they are overworked and overwhelmed. They give their best in circumstances that are less than ideal - and they keep on keepin' on. I admire that drive and devotion!

Sherry White said...

This has truly blessed my heart today. We have 3 precious daughters with Ds, ages 2, 3, & 4 and do not want to send them to public school. As a stay home mom, I don't want to send my girls away for 8 hours a day. They have already lived much of their lives in an orphanage with no family. I did buy into the special needs preschool 3 mornings a week, because I wanted to be sure the girls were getting everything they needed & deserved. But I have not been impressed. And now, after having them home for a week due to a tummy bug, I realize I don't want to send them back. Seeing the title of this post, "Considering Home Schooling Your Child with Special Needs?" I was like, "Um, YES!" It was like a ray of sunshine from Heaven. Is that silly? But truly, that's how it felt to me. So glad God brought me here tonite! Looking very forward to reading your ebook.

Amy said...

Sherry,

It is not one bit silly! Most parents don't even entertain the thought of homeschooling their children with special needs. The system leads us to believe that they are the experts and that they know best. Truth be told, YOU are the expert and YOU know best!