Friday, February 3, 2012

Our Beloved One

"I have one too,

He's/she's ____"

Today it was  21.

It happens often.  

We're out and about 

And someone locks onto Reagan.  

Their eyes light up and I know...

Because I have one

Our eyes meet and our smiles grow 

Because we understand...

The far reaches of joy

An instantaneous bond  forged

Because we treasure one

Our precious one,

Created in His image

We name our ones

My one is Reagan




She's 17

The words Down syndrome rarely uttered

As the conversation flows

Because genetic material

Doesn't make up the soul

Of our treasured one

It's about places in the heart

Which expand and grow in love

So that love bursts forth

No longer restrained

And joy blossoms

In the gift of

And lessons learned from

Our beloved one




{I have a friend  who doesn't have one witness such a meeting and she was left totally confused at what she saw and heard.  I had to explain it to her and now she knows - and understands because she loves Reagan as her own.}

This is an original composition (as are all my posts) and subject to copyright laws

4 comments:

Jessica Snell said...

Oh, this is lovely. I know comparisons are odious, but I hope you don't mind my saying how much this reminds me of what happens to me when older moms of twins see that I have twins. They always smile and come over and tell me about their kids, and especially when the babies were young and I was so tired, their shared joy meant a lot to me.

Amy said...

Thank you Jessica! A compliment from you is highly treasured :-)

I find these chance meetings encouraging too! It seems that shared joy becomes multiplied and it is such a beautiful thing...

Bonnie said...

Hello Amy,

I just came across your blog. Your ebook looks fabulous. You have many great resources I have used with my own son. Congratulations on your hard work and your heart to encourage others along the way!

Amy said...

Bonnie, Thank you for your kind words. There is a great deal of my heart in this book and lots of love for those with Ds!