Friday, April 4, 2008

My daughter's homeschooling experience


"Share your children’s home education experience in their own words. What have they said about their education? What are their likes and dislikes? Share some stories, some quotes, or turn your blog over to your children for the day."




From K, my 15 y.o. - what every homeschooling mama wants to hear...

"I’ve been homeschooled my entire life. I love being homeschooled. I have never wanted to attend a public school. My mom is a wonderful teacher and I have gotten a wonderful education. As a homeschooled child, I’ve had to work hard, but in a good way. I have a wonderful Bible class and work with a Christian curriculum. I get my work done early so I have free time to do things I enjoy - like reading, writing, and drawing.

I love spending time with my family. We enjoy the flexibility of homeschooling and take frequent vacations - quality family time with lots of learning opportunities! I have seen London, Hawaii and Israel and much of the U.S.A - places I doubt I would have seen if I hadn't been homeschooled.

I can honestly say that I am grateful for the fact that Mom wanted to homeschool me. I’ve learned so much and the experience has been wonderful - and that’s an understatement!"

Just so you all will know, we have had many a challenging day where we (well, mostly me) have all been in tears. In our early years, I admit to looking in the mirror first thing in the morning and saying to myself - I could have this whole day to myself - but then reality sinks in. I never tell anyone this journey is easy but with perseverance it all comes together - things click and you find what works for your family. It is process that becomes a lifestyle. I will never regret the investment I have made in my children. Things like time alone, lunch with friends or shopping 'til I drop - things I may have missed because I homeschool seem superficial when I look at the way my girls are growing up. They know what is really meaningful in this life - loving the Lord and loving their neighbors. I love being their mom...

See more about Home Education Week at: Principled Discovery

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing!
Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

How wonderful! My son told me once that he wanted to homeschool in college. I'd forgotten about that. Thanks for reminding me. ;)

Mrs. Darling said...

I hope my daughter can say this too when she reaches 15. You and your daughter are indeed blessed.

Renna said...

How rewarding that must be for you, Amy!

My dd did not want to be homeschooled. She was the only one I had at home and I know she did get lonely, though we involved ourselves in outside activities.

Nevertheless, about a year after she left home, she called me one day and thanked me for homeschooling her. She even apologized for the grief she'd given me over it. She said she realized after meeting so many peers who were not homeschooled just how much better off she'd had it, and even felt she'd had a superior education to them.

It was one of the happiest days of my life! ;-)

Amy said...

I tease my daughter about homeschooling college!

Renna, your comment brought tears to my eyes. I guess when we begin our journey we aren't looking for thanks but isn't it wonderful to get it from our children!