Thursday, April 16, 2009

A Moving Story...

I'd seen this video mentioned on a couple of blogs but the embedded video had been removed (by request) and never bothered to go to youtube to see what the excitement was about.

Let me tell you, I was moved to tears watching this unassuming but cheeky middle-aged woman change the opinions of the audience (and later the world) as soon as she opened her mouth to sing one of my favorite songs from Les Mis, I Dreamed a Dream.

Susan Boyles, 47 years old, grew up the youngest of nine children and a coal miner's daughter in Scotland. She had learning difficulties and was bullied growing up. She was her recently deceased mother's caregiver, lives alone with her cat, is unemployed and has never been kissed. Her dream...to be a professional singer.

When she appeared on Britain's Got Talent (which must be similar to American Idol) they laughed at her. They saw the plain, middle-aged, frumpy woman (like me) until she opened her mouth to share a talent that can only come from God.

Please watch this video and remember never to judge a book by its cover. All have value - even if they don't come in a package that this culture values - Hollywood good looks and high IQs.

Susan Boyle's dream may have finally come true and my hope is that the dreams of those who live with challenges this world doesn't value (and many terminate) have a chance to make their dreams come true too.

Some follow-up stories here and here.

Edit to add Ms. Boyle singing Cry Me a River

5 comments:

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

I watched this video 4 times today...I cried every single time. Thank you for sharing it....

rickismom said...

I also saw it the other day. It just goes to show how wrong our preconceived notions can be....

Amy said...

You should hear her sing Cry Me A River!

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/tv_and_radio/article6112697.ece

Amy said...

Let me make that link tiny:
http://tinyurl.com/dhwo4j

Leslie said...

Beautiful! Thank you for sharing this too. I thoroughly enjoyed what you had to say - and even more her singing. Wow!