Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Escaping into Advent

Has anybody else noticed that Christmas merchandise has been on display since before Halloween? The stores and streets are decorated for Christmas and we haven’t experienced Advent yet!

Those of us in liturgical denominations are governed by the liturgical calendar. This calendar marks for us the seasons in the church year, days of feasts and fasts, vigils and commemorations, giving us a rhythm to our days and our lives. Those of us who center our lives on the liturgical calendar understand the richness and beauty offered in the depths of observing planned and purposeful seasons of the church year.

Advent marks the beginning of our liturgical year – a period of expectant waiting for the arrival of our Savior. In Advent which begins this Sunday, we wait as the Hebrews waited for the birth of the Messiah while waiting for the second coming of Jesus the Christ.

As we experience Advent in our preparations for the coming of Jesus in the places we offer ourselves to the Lord by saying the Daily Office, participating in the Liturgy, perhaps even going to confession - or experiencing the rich traditions of Advent by lighting the candles on the Advent wreath, opening the little windows on our Advent calendar or decorating the Jesse tree our anticipation builds as we await His coming.

All these things set the season of Advent apart from Christmas. For me, Christmas is trivialized and marginalized without Advent. It seems that Christmas has evolved to something that no longer belongs to God but to a fallen world.

So, I’ll not be participating in the secular extravagance of the holiday that has been hijacked by the commercial sector and much of today's society. Oh, I will have the work of Christmas done but I’m escaping into Advent. You won’t find me at the mall or grand Christmas celebrations this Advent. I hope instead to be sitting quietly with my Advent reading and focusing on His coming, knowing the great joy about to come while so many are waiting in long lines or spending too much time money on things that are only transiently meaningful.

I’ll be spending my time reliving with awe in His Word the powerful unfolding of God’s plan for His creation. Because Jesus came - fully human and fully divine - to redeem us and offer us eternal salvation...and promises to come again, I know hope. Because He came I want to live my life differently. I want my life to reflect Him and I can only do that by knowing Him more intimately so I’ll be better prepared when He comes again.

And I’ll be praying about how to make some more changes in what I can do to make my Advent experience deeper and more profound. Do you feel a need to make some changes this year? Take a look at Christmas Change "to reject a culture of consumerism and self indulgence, that yes, has even permeated the Christian community. To incarnate Christ in the everyday. To love lavishly the unlovable, in heart first, then in word and deed."

My Advent reading this year

Daily Reflections for Advent and Christmas, Waiting in Joyful Hope 2009-2010 by Robert Morneau

Watch for the Light: Readings for Advent and Christmas published by Plough Publishing House

Christmastide: Prayers for Advent through Epiphany from The Divine Hours by Phyllis Tickle

Thank you Kerry, at A Ten O'Clock Scholar for hosting The Carnival of Anglican Advent Traditions - a part of Carnivals of the Church Year hosted by Homemaking Through the Church Year and A Ten O'Clock Scholar

1 comment:

Beth said...

Amen!
We are an Advent family as well. Preparation of heart and spirit is what brings us closer to the Christ child.