Saturday, November 7, 2009

Once a Year Treat...

My family can't get enough of these:



I was dismayed at the price of pumpkins this year in our area. I could not find pumpkins for under $6.00 a piece - shocking! Especially when we live near the pumpkin capital of the world. So, I settled for only two pie pumpkins this year - just enough for the holiday pies at $1.50 a piece.

After roasting the pumpkins, I salvage the seeds for our special yearly treat. Yes, its messy and time consuming but everyone looks forward to roasted pumpkin seeds. After cleaning the pulp off the seeds, I soak them in salt solution for an hour or so. Next drain, add a tiny bit of oil and seasonings. This year I used salt, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Into a 325 degree oven for 25-30 minutes, turning every 10 minutes.

My family couldn't be happier!

4 comments:

rickismom said...

Roasted pumpkin seeds is a normal all-around-the-year snack food here in Israel!

Amy said...

Well, I'm jealous! Pumpkin seeds are such a good, nutritious snack!

Kerry said...

Amy - we look forward to them each year, too! We use Old Bay Seasoning on ours...delicious!

Amy said...

Interesting Kerry - I'll try that next year!