Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Foodie?



I guess I've not thought about what the term foodie means. When I saw this sign on a recent trip to Cincinnati, OH, I knew it was speaking of me! I cannot visit Cincinnati without making a stop at Jungle Jim's International Market.

Jungle Jim's is a self-described theme park for foodies. For someone like me, hailing from a small town where grocery stores are of the large chain variety with not a lot of imagination, a trip to Jungle Jim's sends thrills up and down my spine! I guess I am a foodie.

Jungle Jim's is a funky place. Surprises abound. It is NOT your usual marketplace! Ever seen a boat in the produce section?



Or the fish market underneath a shop-lined boardwalk?



Jungle Jim's boasts of "offering 150,000 different items from over 75 countries." Some of it is quite exotic. This fruit, durian, looked very interesting to my girls.



I'm so glad we didn't satisfy our curiosity and purchase the durian for a snack later. I understand the smell is offensive despite the savory to slightly sweet (depending on the variety) creamy flesh. In certain parts of Asia the fruit is banned in public places and can draw people dressed in hazmat suits to remove the odorous fruit from hotel rooms!

Ah, the dangers of living a foodie life...

No comments: