Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Updated Resource

Teaching Reading to Children with Down Syndrome by Patricia Oelwein has been updated. From the Woodbine House website:

"Now Available...Teaching Reading is updated with refreshed Resources, a CD-ROM of Appendices, and a new cover!

Reading is an essential, enriching, and attainable skill for children with Down syndrome. This guide presents a nationally recognized reading program for children with Down syndrome that can be used to effectively meet a child's unique learning needs and style.

The reading method and lessons presented here are specifically designed to be motivating, fun, and rewarding. Filled with sample flash cards, games, charts, and recommended story books, the program emphasizes the visual learning style typical of most children with Down syndrome. Parents can customize lessons to capture their child's interests and set the learning pace to a level for greatest success.

This step-by-step guide to reading allows parents to work with their child at home and helps them coordiate reading lessons with teachers, ensuring the continuity of their child's education year after year.

Now includes a CD-ROM of all the visual supports. Print out the Appendices--picture and word cards, lotto games, charts, and more--as often as you need!

Do you need just the CD-ROM?
You can order the CD-ROM for $6 (including shipping & handling) by calling our office at 800-843-7323.
Note: CD-ROM not available for order online."

6 comments:

Barbara Frank said...

Wow, Amy, I just popped by to see how you all are doing and I find all these awesome posts. You've been busy!

Amy said...

Thanks Barbara! I think all these dreary, rainy days give me a little more time to post. I'm getting a little tired of gray, rainy days and I know its not any better up north. I'm almost looking forward to some snow now that the colorful fall leaves have fallen!

Elizabeth said...

Glad to have found your site. I especially appreciated the Oct 22 post. I will be back to glean from your wisdom and experience. My Charity with D.S. is only 3, but is stubborn as all get-out!

Amy said...

Elizabeth, I remember following Charity's story while she was so ill earlier this year. I'm so grateful that she is doing so well now!

Anonymous said...

Hi--I know you say it elsewhere, but I think it's worth repeating that some of the best information on reading/literacy is available for free through Down Syndrome On-Line at www.down-syndrome.org. I personally think it's superior to Olwein's materials--and, again, free. I think it's so cool this group has made the decision to allow free access to so much information we've previously had to pay for.

I have an equally strong recommendation for DeAnna Horstmeier's two math books Woodbine House publishes. Think they're superior to anything I've seen and they function as a math curriculum. But ya gotta buy them. I don't think what Down Syndrome On-Line has is very good by comparison.

Interesting reading on your site--always on the lookout to find others homeschooling children with D.S. My son is 9 almost 10 and we've been at it for 2 years. School has gone from being the hardest to the easiest part of our lives!

I'll check back and see if I can figure out how to choose an identity besides anonymous!

Amy said...

I do hope you will come back and let me know who you are - I love 'meeting' others who homeschool their children w/Ds. I think you are experiencing what most others experience after leaving the system - life is much easier without the battles!

I agree with you about the information on the DownsEd site. I've spent countless hours there. I am actually a huge proponent of teaching kids w/Ds to read beginning in the infant/toddler years - Dr. Buckley of DownsEd is not quite there yet but coming along in that direction. So many parents are unaware just how easy it is to teach our little ones to read at an early age. What a huge adavantage that is!

I only have one problem with DeAnna Horstmeier's books - she has no experience teaching young children w/Ds math. I think she does a good job explaining how to teach our children functional skills, which they need, but more can be done with our younger children. Math tends to be difficult for most children w/Ds but if we can take them as far along as possible - so that math is meaningful - they will understand functional skills better...and lead to better brain organization for other real world stuff. Does that make sense?

Anyway, so glad you stopped by!