Saturday, October 17, 2009

Plagiarism

Ever had your original content stolen? I deal with the at least once a year - not necessarily here on my blog - but with articles I have published elsewhere. Most website owners who like my stuff and feel it valuable to the homeschooling community will write me and ask permission to publish the information on their website. It is the morally right and polite thing to do.

On rare occasions I have seen my original content, often copied word for word, around the web. Usually I just write the website owner a note and get a fairly quick reply in the form of an apology and removal of the information. Of course, its usually not their fault - the fault lies with someone who who works for them. The offenders are usually extremely contrite. They know plagiarism is a crime.

This time, a simple, quick e-mail outlining my concerns did not work. I got absolutely no response.

Am I wrong to be surprised that this would happen within the homeschooling community? I guess I shouldn't be. After all, we are all sinners.

Perhaps the offending website is just a website that likes to make money off of the homeschooling community by offering informational content for homeschoolers. I wouldn't know since they did not respond to my inquiries.

Perplexed as to what step to take next, I took to the internet in search of answers. Darren Rowse of Problogger had an easy to follow, step-by-step plan of action for me to follow.

So, I worked my way through the steps. I contacted the site owner, ran a whois search, and contacted the website host without response.

Step 4, contacting the site's advertisers, finally yielded results. The stolen content has been removed.

I'm happy to say I did not have to go to step 5, name and shame, and beyond.

I have often wondered why it bothers me so much to find my work appearing around the web without credit. Most of my work is just putting together pieces of the puzzle in how children with Down syndrome learn. I have put in countless hours in accomplishing that task for the benefit of my daughter -- and others traveling a similar path. I give it away freely and without reservation when asked. I look at all those countless hours spent in research as the Lord's work in me and a way to serve others.

We're talking about my blood, sweat and tears here. It took me many years to get where we are in educating my daughter. After years of unanswered question from those who are supposed to know (professionals), I did the work to find the answers. So, it does bother me when people steal from me. In the few seconds it takes to copy and paste, a rare person here and there will use that information and call it their own.

It also offends God - see the Ten Commandments.

Next time, just ask. What is mine is yours -- if you ask.

2 comments:

Barbara Frank said...

Disheartening, isn't it? And as you say, it happens in the homeschooling community, which makes it hurt more. OTOH, your writing is very good and helpful and this is just one sign that people recognize this. Good for you for pursuing the thieves.

Amy said...

Thanks for your kind words and support Barbara.

It does hurt that this would happen within the homeschooling community - a place I have found to be filled with loving parents who seek to serve the Lord by raising up their children to do the same.

I'm fairly certain this site was only seeking to make money. Targeting homeschoolers is a fairly large business opportunity today as the community grows larger and larger with time.