Saturday, October 31, 2009

The Starbridge Series

By Susan Howatch is among my favorite modern historical fiction. Howatch is a masterful writer and created a series that revolves around politics of the Church of England from the 1930s through the 1960s.

As a person fairly new to the Anglican Communion, the Starbridge series brings to life the societal, theological and political issues that brought us to where we are today - schism. The schism we experience today has roots reaching far back in time and this series defined for me just how we got here and why.

The Starbridge series unraveled the complexities of the impact of the post-modern culture on the Church within the differing angles of the three main variations of Anglicanism – Anglo-Catholics, Evangelicals and those with Charismatic traits/beliefs.

Each protagonist (ordained clergy) has a false goal, reflected in a false self, as described in the title of each of the six books. This leads to destructive choices made by living for themselves and not for God. Through spiritual direction, they become aware of what they need to do to be redeemed.

I find it interesting that the presence of evil and spiritual warfare is dealt with in this series. So many people would like to believe that evil is not something we need to guard against. Living in a diocese undergoing massive spiritual warfare, I can tell you evil is always lurking.

I love that each chapter begins with a quote from 20th century theologians which lead to plot development and influence the protagonist’s thoughts and actions.

Has anyone else read this series? I am working on the St. Benet’s trilogy next!

2 comments:

Jessica Snell said...

I love the Starbridge series; I've read it through a couple of times, and some of the books I've read many times. (I especially like
Venetia's story, particularly the end.)

I've read the St. Benet's books too, but didn't like them as well. I should warn you, they are SCARY. The High Flyer is the only one I've read twice, and I strongly recommend not reading it before bed. The Heartbreaker includes the most horrific and disgusting scenes I've ever read in literature, though also one of the most beautiful. I don't know whether I'd recommend reading it or not. The beauty of Christ's love shines in comparision with the filth, but if it's not your calling to deal with that particular sort of filth, I'm not sure it's worth wading through for entertainment.

Still . . . huge Susan Howatch fan. She's an amazing writer. I love how she can tell the same story from all these different characters' points of view, and make you see new things each time.

Amy said...

You've given me cause to think and pray if I want to read on. I've started 'The Miracle Worker' and am not as pleased as I was with the Starbridge series.

I have no need for the kind of filth you've described above. I've seen enough and I think at this stage of my life I'm looking more towards beauty.

I'll ponder and pray and let you know!