Saturday, March 1, 2008

Lenten Prayer


Dear Lord, you once said,
"The will of him who sent me
is that I should lose nothing
of all that has been given to me."
These words are a source of consolation this day.
They show that you are doing all that can be done
to keep me in your love.
They demonstrate that indeed
you entered this world to save me,
to free me from the bonds of evil and sin,
and to lead me to your Father's house.
They reveal that you are willing
to struggle against the strong powers
which pull me away from you.
Lord, you want to keep me, hold onto me,
fight for me, protect me, help me, support me,
comfort me, and present me to your Father.
It indeed is your divine task not to lose me!
And yet I am free.
I can separate myself from you,
and you will never take this freedom away from me.
Oh, what a wonderful love,
what a mystery of divine grace!
Please Lord, let me freely choose for your love
so that I will not be lost to you.
Amen


from Show Me the Way, Readings for Each Day of Lent
Henri J.M. Nouwen

No comments: