Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The Swap...

Photobucket
Is probably the best Christian homeschooling support community on the web. It has something for everyone in the homeschooling community - information on curriculum and homeschooling methods, fellowship, recipes and more! The Swap has a private, safe place for children/teens to interact with other Christians via the internet under the supervision of Swappie (loving way to refer to a person who participates on The Swap) mamas.

I first began visiting The Swap looking for support and information on homeschooling children with special needs. The Swap was recommended to me by Marilyn, a woman who I've come to know as a person with a heart for the Lord and shares her knowledge and wisdom everywhere she goes. I know Marilyn won't remember (the list no longer exists) but I'm grateful to her leading me to The Swap.

I think it was there I first met (in an interactive manner) someone who homeschooled their child with Down syndrome. Laurie has openly shared her journey with her 18 y.o. son - stories that I have found inspirational and motivating over the years.

It was on The Swap that I met my cybertwin. Amy and I have the same first and middle names and have shared similar journeys in many ways.

Renna held a leadership position on The Swap for many years. She did it wonderfully - with the greatest love and respect for all.

It was very exciting for me to meet my first Swappie on our trip to the Holy Land in the fall of 2006. Jennifer doesn't blog (that I am aware of) so I can't introduce her to you. She lives in the Holy Land bringing others to Christ in a land which surprisingly has a great need to know the Lord.

More Swappie blogs:

Stacy's Page
New Teaching Mom
Trees Planted by the Water
In the Midst of This Season

I'm sure I am missing a few Swappie blogs but they are all places to go to find inspiration and see how God is working in the lives of homeschooling families. The Swap has blessed me abundantly over the years - I hope it might bless many more through this blog!

7 comments:

Sharon said...

YAY!!! The Swap. It's a place that has endeared itself to me so, and been a source of encouragement for a very long time.

Amy said...

And it has encouraged me too!

Renna said...

Amy, you do have a gift of encouragement!

I'd forgotten that you went to the Holy Lands. Have you ever posted pics of the trip on your blog?

Amy said...

Thank you Renna!

I do have some pictures of the wilderness on my Lenten posts. All my Holy Land pictures are at home and I'm not!

Let me see if I can find my Shutterfly albums...

Laurie said...

oh, The Swap!! What a wonderful place of support it has been. You are were the first person that I "met" who was also homeschooling a child with Down Syndrome. I have been blessed by how encouraging you've been over the years!!

Amy said...

Thank you Laurie. It is nice to know I have somehow encouraged you on this wonderful homeschooling journey!

Marilyn@A Mixed Bouquet said...

Well, in my crazy two weeks, I'm just getting caught up here! The Swap has encouraged me!

I'm afraid that you'll have to remind me of the group which no longer exists. I'm curious!

The Swap was the first homeschooling site I found when I got online. :-)

You have blessed many, Amy!