Saturday, March 8, 2008

Lenten Prayer


Oh Lord Jesus Christ,
you who forgave the sins of the paralytic
before you let him walk again,
I pray that [this Lenten period] may make me more
aware of your forgiving presence in my life
and less concerned about performing well in the eyes
of my world.
Let me recognize you
at that virginal point in the depth of my heart
where you dwell and heal me.
Let me experience you in that center of my being
from which you want to teach and guide me.
Let me know you as my loving brother
who holds nothing --
not even my worst sins --
against me,
but who wants to touch me in gentle embrace.
Take away the many fears, suspicions, and doubts
by which I prevent you from being my Lord,
and give me the courage and freedome to appear naked
and vulnerable
in the light of your presence,
confident in your unfathomable mercy.

I know how great my resistance is,
how quickly I choose the darkness instead of the light.
But I also know that you keep calling me into the light,
where I can see not only my sins
but your gracious face as well.
Be with me every hour of my days.

Praise and glory to you, now and forever.
Amen.

Henri J.M. Nouwen
From Show Me the Way, Readings for Each Day of Lent

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Yes...

I thank God that everything that He's begun in each of us that HE WILL finish until the Day He comes for us.

Amy said...

...my hope and my strength!