Sunday, March 30, 2008

Looking Back....




"Share your personal history...before you were a home educator. What was life like? Think about things you miss and things for family have gained."

What was life like before I was a homeschooling mom? I guess that would be the time before I had children!

Before kids, I was an emergency department(ED) RN at a Level 1 Trauma Center. I loved my job but it was very demanding of me physically and emotionally. Every afternoon I would go to work and find my name assigned to first trauma - meaning I would get the first trauma that came through the doors. The first trauma generally arrived fairly early in the afternoon/evening. The average time per trauma patient was 4-6 hours unless their injuries were so life threatening and they went quickly to the operating room.

I took care of people of all ages - from newborn babies to the elderly. It was never boring and always challenging. I often wonder since leaving just how I did it for so long....all the pain and suffering of humanity right there every day.

I used to save lives - now I nurture souls growing my children in faith and knowledge as a homeschooling mom. My work today is much more rewarding. The investment I make today in my sweet girls will reap benefits for this life and all eternity. Today I know plentiful hugs and kisses (still!), the secrets of their hearts, their prayers to the Lord. I hope they will be well prepared for life as adults - ready to face the trials that will surely come and the joys of all the blessings of this life with strong faith that the Lord will always be there to provide.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my...there is nothing quite like those little eyes looking up at you excitedly because they just "got" something, is there? And when you see the fruits of your labors in their play and interactions with others.

I really like the way we have grown more as a family than anything else.

Julie said...

Do you ever miss the adrenaline rush? I loved critical care and trauma nursing ~ the faster I had to move and think, the better...

Amy said...

Dana, that is really what I love most about homeschooling - more so with Miss R who has Down syndrome. She works so hard and when that light comes on my heart soars!

Amy said...

Julie, In some ways I do miss the adrenaline rush and the excitement - but then I think about how much I love this peaceful existence and I know I belong here at home with my girls!

Lori C., Texas said...

I just came across your blog through the home educator week link. It is good to meet another Anglican homeschooler.

Blessings,
Lori

Amy said...

Lori, I'm so excited to meet another Anglican homeschooler! I hope you will participate in our carnivals!!!

Renna said...

Amy, I learn more about you all the time. I didn't know you used to work as a nurse. I'm sure that's a training which can help you in many parts of your life.

Amy said...

Renna, It has been immensely helpful! The knowledge I have and the relationships I have known at the hospital have helped me get through some very difficult trials. God's plan for me is beautiful!