Saturday, March 1, 2008

My Magic Pot


This Dutch oven mysteriously appeared in my cupboard years ago. My mom swears it was my grandma's but I have no recollection of anyone giving it to me. It is obviously very old so it could have belonged to my grandma. It has always just been there. The interesting thing about this pot is that everything that goes in this pot comes out tasting absolutely wonderful!

You might note the electric stove in our student housing - I will never get used to cooking on it!

Today it is filled with chili - my own five chili pepper (cayenne, habenero, chipotle, jalapeƱo, scotch bonnet) recipe. Don't ask for the recipe. It is extraordinarily hot and spicy...just the way my hubby likes it!















Tomorrow it will be filled with Sherried Tomato Soup from the The Pioneer Woman Cooks!

Monday will be my favorite soup - Clam Chowder. I'm not bragging when I say this pot makes the best clam chowder ever!

I hardly ever cook soups with a recipe - the pot does its magic and it always tastes good. If you're willing or able to tweak a recipe for your families tastes, you just have to try this recipe. It makes a huge amount but I never have to worry about anyone going hungry.


Clam Chowder


2 - 10 ounce cans of clams

Drain over:

1 cup diced potatoes
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced onion

Place drained clams in fridge for later.

Cover veggies with:
4 cups of water mixed with 4 teaspoons Bear Creek Country Kitchens clam base
Add more water to cover veggies if necessary.
Season with basil, marjoram, thyme
Optional seasoning - dill (I always forget to buy it)
Add cayenne pepper to taste.
Simmer veggies until tender.

Cook until crisp and crumble:
1/2 pound bacon
Reserve for later.

In another pan, make a white sauce:
Melt 3/4 cup butter or margarine.
Add 3/4 cup flour.
Stir for one minute
Add 4 cups half and half or combination of milk and half and half.
Cook until thick and bubbly.

Add to cooked veggies in broth, stir until mixed well.

Just before serving, add clams - they only take a minute to cook.
Add crumbled bacon and 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar.

Very creamy. Very rich. Very tasty. Freezes well.

5 comments:

Renna said...

I've always wanted a pot like that. My sis-in-law inherited my late mother-in-law's pot which looks just like that, and everything sil cooks in it tastes divine!

I do have a black cast iron dutch oven which I wouldn't be without, but I'm still hoping someday to get one like yours and sil's! ;-)

Amy said...

I have always wanted a cast iron dutch oven - as a back-up of course! My dutch oven has truly been magical. It must have been grandma's because I think her love just keeps on giving through it :-)

Seriously, I found my mom a look-alike at a flea market - they are out there!

Sharon said...

Thanks for the recipes! Boy does that look GOOD and the rest sounds GREAT!

My favorite "magic pot" is a very large Romertopf Clay Pot Baker. Yum. The kids dubbed it a magic pot many years ago.

I've never had a dutch oven. Maybe it's something I need to look into. :)

Barbara Frank said...

Oh, wow, now I'm hungry :)

I too am struggling to get used to an electric stove.... after more than 25 years of gas cooking. It's not easy, is it?

Marilyn@A Mixed Bouquet said...

Yum! What a neat pot!

I had a gas stove for two years in the late 70s. I couldn't adjust to it. LOL!